Extensive development experience on PC, console, mobile and VR platforms. Most recently building worlds in VR for mass market sporting events and social engagement.
25+ years of experience as a generalist, art director, technical artist, modeler, UI/UX artist, character rigger, animator and environment artist in the games industry.
Experience with real-time lighting as well as post-process lighting using Mental Ray & V-Ray.
Experience managing and training art teams of 2 – 12 artists onsite and outsourced.
Very adaptive to new art production pipelines and developing under ambiguity of emerging technology. Strong technical skills working with R&D teams on new technologies as well as content pipelines.
Expert knowledge of 3DS Max, Photoshop, Illustrator and a host of middle-ware packages. Experienced at compositing and video editing with After Effects & Premiere as well as for VFX animation sequences.
Experience writing shaders in ShaderForge and Substance Designer.
Extensive background in reference gathering photographic techniques including PBR workflows. Experience running teams on overseas photo shoots. Also experienced with LIDAR scanning and utilization of data to create environments.
Experience working with and adapting to many game engines including Unity and Unreal.
Sr. 3D VR Generalist
2016 – 2017
Building environments and assets in 3DS Max and UE4 (Unreal engine). Focus is on real-world sports venues. Authoring content for a PBR workflow. Targeted for output on Oculus, Vive, Playstation VR and Samsung Gear VR.
North Star Games
2015 – 2016
Art Director, Technical Art Director and UI design on digital conversion of board game. 3D environment development, modeling, texture & UV, lighting, character rigs and animations for Unity game engine. Authoring shaders in Shader Forge and Substance Designer including advanced texture atlas blending, UV animation and animated thresholds. Responsible for external art outsourcing and art direction.
Microsoft | Turn 10 Studios | Amaxra, Inc.
Environment Lead | Forza Motorsport 6
2012 – 2015
Environment Track Lead – Forza 6. Previous project Art Lead for multiple track environments on Forza Motorsport 5.
- Involved in all aspects of content creation, scheduling, reference gathering.
- Art Directing and managing internal and external overseas vendor art teams.
- 3D modeling, texturing, PBR material, shader workflows, lighting, rendering and compositing. High poly & low poly workflows.
- Heavily involved in R&D of new art tools, techniques, processes and pipelines on new console. Documentation via Sharepoint and wiki website authoring.
- Develop new content creation pipelines using LIDAR laser scanned data, GPS data and 360 “Ladybug” videos.
- Assist in tools development and prototyping on Xbox One system.
- Mentoring, training and on-boarding of new artists.
- Product: Forza Motorsport 6 (not yet shipped) & Forza Motorsport 5.
Digipen Institute of Technology
Department Chair | Sr. Lecturer
2009 – 2012
Responsible for the daily operation of the Digital Arts Department as well as long-term oversight of planning, scheduling, and curriculum development. Teaching all aspects of beginning through advanced 3D using 3DS Max. Low and high poly modeling, advanced texturing, UV mapping techniques, lighting, rendering, shader creation, cinematic compositing, character animation, beginning through advanced rigging using bones and the CAT rigging system.
- Digital Arts Department Chair
- Established curriculum, syllabus and lesson plan for basic and advanced 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting, rendering and compositing.
- Lectured to over 70 students daily.
- Created cinematics for 3D Alioscopy display system (fully 3D display without glasses).
2010 – 2011
Executive demo team contract artist.
- Designed, prototyped and developed content for a fully 3D Stereoscopic NUI system using Kinect 3D motion input system. Utilized spacial input & gestures as Human/computer interaction.
- Textured & rigged next-gen avatar system using Kinect system.
- Created visualization of medical interaction scenarios using Kinect system and interactive wall display.
Art Lead | Technical Art Lead | Environment Lead
2001 – 2009
Art Lead on numerous products released on the Xbox, Xbox 360 and PC, including two Platinum (1M+) selling AAA titles.
- Team leader and manager of 15 environmental artists in Aces Studio.
- Led a team of artists in modeling, texturing, character animation and lighting on multiple race tracks for Forza Motorsport and Forza Motorsport 2 on the Xbox and Xbox 360 console.
- Identified and facilitated improvements in art pipeline as a Technical Art Lead on Forza Motorsport 2. Worked with tools programmers to develop new technologies and improve game performance.
- Art directed an external overseas developer on Midtown Madness 3 (Xbox). Cut scene cinematic and motion graphics art direction.
- Oversaw vendor contracts and asset creation on numerous projects.
- Generated complex content production schedules across studio wide products with varying deadlines.
- Assist in developing UI designs, 3D assets, FMV video assets & character animations using Photoshop, CorelDraw, 3DS Max, Illustrator & After Effects.
- Awarded US Patent based upon work with MS Research. Use of Scientific Models in Environmental Simulation- #325465.01 (Microsoft)
- Products: Forza Motorsport 2, Forza Motorsport, Flight Simulator, Train Sim 2, ESP, Midtown Madness 3, RalliSport Challenge.
Gas Powered Games
Art Director | Character Animator
1999 – 2001
Built up a team of artists and animators for a startup studio. Determined 3D animation system and software usage for entire company. Developed implementation production plan, art pipeline and production schedules.
- Led a team of 7 artists & animators.
- Character rigging and key-frame animation on numerous bipedal and multi-legged creatures.
- Schedule and task management for entire art team.
- Prototyping, conceptual wire-faming, logo design, product UI design, web site design & product POP design material.
- Product: Dungeon Siege.
1998 – 1999
Finalized production schedule and directed a team of artists and animators.
- Led a team of 10 artists & animators.
- Designed user interface concepts and prototypes.
- Provided research and development for emerging 3D games at company.
- Product: Gabriel Knights III.
Creative Software Designs, Inc.
Art Director | Technical Art Director
1997 – 1998
Team lead and art production for all in-game assets and UI elements.
- Sole creator of a prototype that won a $2M contract.
- Managed and directed outsource contractors.
- Provided storyboarding, user interface designs and implementation.
- Created and implemented all 3D 360 degree virtual landscapes used in product.
- Responsible for all technical art direction issues.
- Product: Exploring the Planets.
UI / UX Designer
1997 – 1998
Conceptual design and creation of in-game UI elements.
- Designed UI pages, buttons, stats pages for sports game.
- Other projects: concept designs & prototypes R&D, terrain system R&D.
- Product: Front Page Sports – Baseball ’98.
Project Director | Art Department Manager
1995 – 1997
Provided leadership and development team management for emerging products.
- Project Director of engineers, artists and designers in developing an early version of a web based MMO computer game.
- Provided management, training, and scheduling of Art Directors and team of 8 computer artists.
- Product: Tender Loving Care, Clandestiny, Uncle Henry’s Playhouse.
Producer | Senior Art Director | Art Director
1989 – 1995
Producer for numerous products and conversions. Sr. Art Director for entire studio.
- Art Directed numerous award winning titles.
- Provided management, training, and scheduling of Art Directors and studio artists.
- Art Directed launch title and cinematics for 3DO console.
- Prototype simulation development on Nintendo 64 system.
- Awarded US Patent based upon research and development of virtual sampling system. Computerized Flight Simulation Control Sampling and Production System and Method – #5,689,682 (Sierra Online)
- Product: Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, RAF, WWII: 1946, Stellar 7, A-10 version 1.5, Draxon’s Revenge, Heart of China, Space Quest, A10 II, Red Baron II, Outpost 2, RAMA, Aviation Pioneers, Wings Over Europe, Alien Legacy
Oregon State University
- B.F.A. in graphic design and illustration
- Gamefest 2007 – Track creation from real world assets
- Game Developers Conference – 3D Asset Management
- University of Washington – Character creation for computer and console games
- Introduction to Game Development (2nd Edition) – Charles River Media, Visual Design chapter.
- Game Developer Magazine – Feature, monthly column and product reviews.
- Articles: Arachnophobia: Animating a multi-legged creature, Unmasking Photoshop’s Layers, File organization and Naming Schemes, Interface Design for Games, Building a Game Font, Terraforming, Tiled Terrain, Bryce 5 product review, Texture Anarchy product review.